Monday, May 4

Passover

  Back in March, one of my sisters, Jamie, and I attended the Passover feast that is put on every year by one of the professors here on BYU campus. It was really interesting and highly educational. I learned about the opportunity to attend Passover from my religion professor this last semester. I was taking a world religions class . . . finally! I have also wanted to take this class but have never been able to fit it into my schedule until this semester. I loved this class and I learned so much. Plus my professor really knew what he was talking about as he has been to most of the places we were talking about, has friends in all the religions we talked about, and has lived and studied in Jerusalem and the surrounding areas for several years. So he knew his stuff.
  Anyways, so did the professor, Victor Ludlow, who puts on the Passover feast every year. We did the whole thing, from start to finish. We started off discussing the different elements that make up Passover and why they are all there and then went through it all. We sang, drank (grape juice), partook of the seder plate (including the bitter herbs), read scriptures, and ate. It was fun and I would do it again. However, it did take longer than I know I was expecting. It started at 6:30 pm and got over about 10:15ish or so but it was still good.
This is the parsley that you dip into salt water. - Symbolic of the coming of spring and the perpetual renewal of life.
Haroset. - A mixture of apples, nuts, cinnamon, and wine. - Represents the mortar the Israelite slaves used in Egypt.
 The Seder plate. (The white stuff behind the shankbone is the Maror aka the bitter herbs (horseradish).
 This picture depicts the exodus from Egypt and is entirely composed of miniature watercolor letters telling the the story from Exodus.

No comments: